Jesse’s video of the fountain test:
Jesse’s video of Stripe’s leg moving:
My photo of the Hellboy ad in Paris using the word “badass”:
The massive Alien and other gingerbread structures we referenced are by Caroline Eriksson.
A good basic gingerbread recipe to use is Julia Usher’s here, but if you can find a copy of her book “Cookie Swap”, she has an excellent “Construction Gingerbread” recipe on page 146. I have adapted that to UK ingredients and that’s what I use for all of my 3D gingerbread competition pieces now, including the Da Vinci one we talked about in this episode.
The profiterole recipe I used for my 2019 homework is here. My 2020 homework is clearly gougeres, parce que le mot de l’annae est badass!
Here’s Jesse’s recipe:
Gougeres Recipe Jesse Lesser
Â½ cup water
Â½ cup whole milk
4 ounces unsalted butter â€“ cut into pieces
Large pinch of salt
1 cup all purpose flour
4 large eggs
1 cup shredded cheese
*Gruyiere is traditional, but any hard cheese works well. A mix of GruyÃ¨re, Parmesan, and sharp cheddar is yummy
Large pinch freshly ground pepper
Large pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Â½ teaspoon fresh thyme
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. In a medium saucepan combine water, milk, butter, and salt and bring to a boil.
4. Add the flour all at once and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
5. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan.
6. Transfer dough into a bowl and allow to cool for about a minute.
7. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each egg.
8. Add the cheese, pepper, nutmeg, and fresh thyme.
9. Transfer the dough into a piping bag with a large round tip (1/2 wide or just a coupler).
10. Pipe about a tablespoon of dough onto parchment lined baking sheet.
***Can be frozen at this point â€“ still raw. Once frozen transfer to a plastic zipper bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Remove frozen raw gougÃ¨res and allow to thaw at room temperature on a parchment lined baking sheet.
11. Bake gougÃ¨res until puffed and golden brown 15-20 minutes.
12. Serve warm!
***Can be frozen at this point â€“ cooked. Place gougÃ¨res in a plastic zipper bag and store in freezer up to 6 months. Reheat in a 350F oven until hot.
The following songs and sound clips were used in this episode of Eat the Evidence. I am extremely grateful to creators who provide this content.