The Basic Gummy recipe will take care of most of your colour needs, but what do you do if you want no colour at all, or to add only the slightest bit of colour? Or what if you don’t want the flavour that comes with boxed gelatin dessert products?
That’s where this Clear recipe comes in, with the caveat that gelatin has a slightly yellow tinge, so you can’t get gummy completely colourÂfree. But this comes pretty close, especially in thin applications. Note that this comes out a bit softer and more floppy than the Basic Gummy, so you’ll definitely want to chill it before removing from molds, and it may stick to some texture mats. You could use less water or more gelatin, but then it’ll come out with more of a yellow hue. This recipe gets you the optimal balance of clarity and firmness.
The yield as given below is a half cup, which can make at least one letterÂsized sheet. Â You can double or triple this recipe as needed.
- 1â„4 cup COLD water
- Two envelopes of unflavoured gelatin (14 g, about 3.25 tsp)
- 1â„4 cup light corn syrup
- Optional: drops of concentrated flavouring (ie candy flavouring such as LorAnn Peppermint Oil)
- Put the cold water in the nonÂstick pot. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Allow to bloom so the water is all absorbed.
- Warm slowly over low heat until liquified and be sure not to boil.
- Add the corn syrup and combine thoroughly over low heat. If using a flavoured oil, add it now.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool until solid. This gets a lot of the bubbles up and out.
- Warm the pot again and stir only enough to keep the bottom stuff from sticking, taking care not to remix that top foam back in.
- Use a baster kept in a glass of warm water (to keep it from plugging up) to draw up the clearest gummy from the bottom of the pot, tipping the pot if necessary to make a deeper pool. Dispense it from the baster into molds or to make sheets on texture mats. See the Basic Gummy tutorial at http://www.eat-the-evidence.com/gummy/basic-gummy-recipe-and-tutorial/ for step-by-step photos.
Clear Gummy is featured in the following posts:
Gummy Stars and Stripes – for the white portions of the flag, I added 2 tsp of milk per batch of Clear Gummy.